Pound Sign

New York City, pop culture, art and nightlife. Because nobody else is blogging about those things.

Monday, December 04, 2006

The 6 to the J to a walk through a deserted industrial zone to the L to the C to a Prospect Park shuttle to the A to the G to the 6


That's what it took to make 5 studio visits between Bushwick, Crown Heights, Bed-Stuy and Williamsburg in one day yesterday. That grand tour is what it took to finalize the line-up of artists for the exhibition I've been working on, that will open at the Skylight Gallery in January. I couldn't be more thrilled with the group of artists that have come together. I am perhaps most excited that Swoon has agreed to take part; I've been a huge fan of her street art, and its various iterations in galleries (most recently in an installation at the Brooklyn Museum, above in a picture I stole from someone's flickr page) and I'm still a little unprofessionally lit up that she said yes to my project.

I find her cut-paper Coney Island Cyclone especially timely now, following on the heels of the announcement that Astroland amusement park has been sold to the developers buying up all of Coney and will close at the end of the 2007 season. The dismantling continues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home