Pound Sign

New York City, pop culture, art and nightlife. Because nobody else is blogging about those things.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

"I never try anything. I just do it."

One of the great and unique pleasures of the Burlesque Hall of Fame Weekend every year is spending time with--and seeing the performances by--our living legends of burlesque. I love that I can call many of these ladies my friends and in six years I've seen more amazing happenings on stage then I can describe here. (One favorite this year: Camille 2000 returning to the stage for the first time after 25 years.)

One of my favorite memories of all of my BHoF Weekends was, in 2008, hanging out in the Ghost Bar at the Palms with Tura Satana and Satan's Angel, while they swapped nostalgia. Tura was lovely and welcoming and I'm glad to have met her.
She's an inspiration to so many of today's performers and we were sad to lose her this year; the Friday night show this year was dedicated to her memory, her children were there to celebrate with us and among other tributes featured the debut of the trailer for a new documentary about her. It looks like it might kick as much ass as Tura did.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home